Monday, August 27, 2018

That Secret Extra Ingredient

Sigh! What to do when, as an introvert, one totally- physically, spiritually, emotionally runs out of energy and motivation for entertaining one's children? 

What does one do when, as a single parent, one has nothing left to give? 

We are now five weeks into the six-week school summer holidays. I already (panic!) ran out of steam 10 days ago after our long weekend with friends in London.  

As my energy and motivation are currently AWOL, I wake up a soggy, deflated, mass of grumpiness and reluctance.

Facing two cheerfully bright-eyed, bushy tailed, fully recharged little human beings can fill one with dread at this time of the year.

If only top-up service stations were provided for us parents and all we had to do was to plug a hose-pipe into our mouths and fill up on our cuppso beverages of choice...

No one expects a car with an empty tank to "go" anywhere so why do we as parents force ourselves to run on empty? For weeks on end?

Ok the latter is a silly question - sometimes we have no choice.

When caffeine is simply not enough, then something extra is called for. In sheer desperation I attended my first LANO YOGA session this morning. Their philosophy is to Look After Number One. 

Everything came together: physically, mentally and emotionally. I haven't felt this fully re-charged in nearly 4 years. Yes I ache all over but I can feel all this...how do I call it? Suppressed tension that I've been holding on to, leaving all my joints.

So bring on the rest of the summer school holidays, Mary Poppins is back in business!





No comments:

Post a Comment